If you know of any that I missed, please lease a comment below:
- Designed to depict a turn-of-the-century family farm, the Deanna Rose Children’s Farmstead has tons of animals, a mining camp, a dairy barn, an ice cream parlor, a fishing pond, play areas, pony rides, and more. Admission is free Monday through Thursday; $2 on Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Kids under the age of 2 are always free.
- Throughout the year, the Crown Center Shops have free, interactive exhibits for small children. The exhibits change periodically.
- The Crown Center Ice Terrace, an outdoor ice skating rink, is open from November through mid-March. In 2014, tickets for the ice terrace were $6 (free for adults over age 60 and children age 4 and under) plus $3 for skate rental.
- Science City at Union Station is a science center with interactive exhibits. Kids can train to be an astronaut, dig for fossils, and ride a bicycle 30 feet off the ground. Tickets are $10.
- May through September, the Kansas City Northern Railroad offers 50 cent rides on Saturdays and Sundays.
- Missouri Town 1855 will allow kids to see what a progressive farming community looked like in the mid-1800s. Tickets are $5 for adults; $3 for kids; $3 for seniors (62+).
- Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm is the last remaining stagecoach stop open to the public on the Santa Fe Trail. It offers a unique hands on experience for visitors of all ages, with a focus on 1860s farming, frontier life, and stagecoach travel. Tickets are free on Thursday evenings in June and July. The rest of the time, they’re $3-$6 for adults; $2-$4 for kids (ages 5-11), depending on when you visit. Stagecoach rides are $2.
- Once a month from May through October, Sprint presents a Family Fun Day in the Kansas City Power & Light District. Admission is free; there’s a fee for some of the games and activities.
- The Home Depot has free kids’ workshops from 9:00 a.m. to noon the first Saturday of each month.
- Lowes’ has free Build and Grow Workshops for kids at 10:00 a.m. on Saturdays once or twice a month.
- Michael’s stores in Kansas City, Overland Park, Shawnee and Lee’s Summit offer free crafty classes. Check individual locations for dates and times.
- Kaleidoscope at Hallmark offers free art sessions for kids ages 5-12 and family sessions for all ages. At Kaleidoscope, kids can make art with left-over materials from Hallmark’s manufacturing processes. Call 816-274-8300 for dates and times.
- Williams-Sonoma has free Jr. Chef classes at 9:30 a.m. on most Saturdays throughout the year. The classes are for kids ages 5-10.
- The Kansas City Museum at 3218 Gladstone Boulevard in Kansas City, Missouri, has free family fun days on the first Sunday of every month.
- The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art has free family festivals, free hands-on activities, and free story time for preschoolers. Click here for upcoming events. They also have teen activities (some are free; there’s a fee for others).
- The Wonderscope Children’s Museum of Kansas City provides fun, dynamic exhibits and programs that integrate the arts, sciences, and literature for children ten and under, their parents, and teachers from across the Kansas City area. Tickets are $7 for ages 3-63; $6 for ages 64 and up; $4 for ages 1 and 2; and free for infants under 1 year and members.
- Kidscape at the Johnson County Museum is a hands-on exhibit developed for kids ages 3-9. Designed to look like a suburban streetscape, KidScape immerses children into a colorful, exciting environment where they can learn about community through role-playing and meet some of Johnson County’s most talented citizens, both past and present. Admission is free.
- The Kansas City Public Library has kids’ concerts, learning activities, summer reading programs, and more. Click here for upcoming events.
- Kids can get free airplane rides from volunteer pilots in the Young Eagles program.
- Many of the Kansas City area Barnes and Noble stores have periodic storytimes. Click here for upcoming events.
More Free and Cheap Things To Do in Kansas City:
- Free and Cheap Things To Do This Weekend in Kansas City
- 10 Free or Cheap Things to Do in Kansas City
- Always Free Things To Do in Kansas City
- Free & Cheap Things To Do With Kids in Kansas City
- Free Live Jazz in Kansas City
- Discount Tickets on Kansas City Events
- Find Free and Cheap Things To Do in Kansas City By Day With Our Calendar
Subscribe to our free daily newsletter to be notified of all the free Kansas City events and deals. Sign up here.