There are several places in Kansas City where you can get free tax assistance, particularly if you do not make a lot of money or are elderly.
Here are some options:
Free Electronic Tax Filing
• To file your taxes electronically for free, click here.
Free Tax Preparation for Lower-Income Families
• Next Step KC operates several IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) tax preparation sites in the Kansas City area. VITA offers free tax help to hard-working taxpayers with incomes of $53,000 or less who cannot prepare their own tax returns. Click here for locations.
• The Kansas City Public Library also offers several VITA tax preparation sites from January 30 – March 30, 2017. Click here for dates, times, and locations.
Free Tax Assistance for the Elderly
• Kansas City Public Library will offer AARP Tax Assistance with special consideration given to those ages 60 and older from February 1 – April 15, 2017. Click here for dates, times, and locations.
• The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program is for people over the age of 60 who have questions or need help filing their returns. A grant from the IRS allows volunteers, usually through nonprofit groups, to provide assistance at 5,000 locations nationwide. To locate your nearest TCE site, use the AARP Site Locator Tool or call 866-389-5627.